March 17, 2009

libation \ly-BAY-shun\,

noun:
1. The act of pouring a liquid (usually wine) either on the ground or on a victim in sacrifice to some deity; also, the wine or liquid thus poured out.
2. A beverage, especially an alcoholic beverage.
3. An act or instance of drinking.


Pour one out for my homies for this word of the day.

Sadly, it's day six of crappy weather outside, which means more indoor photo time. This one was done pretty simply with a piece of glass over a black backdrop. ("Backdrop," in this case, means long piece of stiff fabric from Wal-Mart.)

We (including myself and photo assistants Dad and Bryan) started off using apple juice as the subject so that it would look more like a 40. But in seeing that it was almost perfectly clear upon pouring it out, and that it was making the front of my lens sticky, we switched to water.

The setup was fairly simple: one light directly to the left of the subject, and one to the right and behind. (Since the subject was clear, of course, it showed right through.) The glass was from my coffee table, and the equipment is all the same bobo stuff I've been ranting about this entire time.

Of course, as always, get to work on your photos for libation and send them to me in an email to be included.

2 comments:

  1. Rob - I'm LOVING the blog. Keep up the great work. I'm going to try to team up with Chris or Matt and maybe we can do a day. Could actually make some pretty fun training.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, did the drop always make the crown splash? Did you drop it directly onto the glass or did you have a layer of water you dropped it onto?

    If I can find the time that would be fun to play around with, getting different splashes. Maybe with some colored water.

    ReplyDelete