April 3, 2009

longueur \long-GUR\,

noun:
A dull and tedious passage in a book, play, musical composition, or the like.


This word of the day brings me right back to my high school days, when I thought everything I read was longueur. Of course, now I read only the most complicated and rambling pieces of literature.

Bryan insists that his book, One Hundred Years of Solitude, is neither dull nor tedious, but the title implies something different. He was already reading at the Morning Times coffee shop downtown, so there wasn't much setup involved. The windows let in a good bit of natural light, accented by the soft yellow of the restaurant's tungsten bulbs in the ceiling.

Lucky for me, the Times has free Wi-Fi, so I can still hang out a while after the photo.

A few have asked how I shot this: I was standing on a chair opposite from Bryan, holding the camera out over his head. Lots of practice shooting this way has gotten me to the point that I can usually aim pretty well without looking through the viewfinder, though it may still take a few tries. I was not hanging from the ceiling mission impossible style.

This is a tough one, but if you've got any longueur photos, send them to me in an email! As usual, I won't be posting this weekend because of work, so you should have more time to shoot and submit!

2 comments:

  1. I am currently reading that book too. Tell Bryan that we should have a book club meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic idea for a photography blog!

    ReplyDelete