April 20, 2009

stormy petrel \STOR-mee-PET-ruhl\,

noun:
1. Any of various small sea birds of the family Hydrobatidae, having dark plumage with paler underparts; also called storm petrel.
2. One who brings discord or strife, or appears at the onset of trouble.


Today's word of the day, like so many before it, describes a bird whose name doubles as a way to describe someone. It's a little strange that the guys at Dictionary.com keep picking bird words, but I won't judge.

Sadly, today's photo isn't quite what I was going for. I wanted to try my hand at an HDR photo, but since I've got to work on my usual Monday off, I won't have the time today to go gallivanting around taking pictures with a high dynamic range.

But in any case, the sky did look pretty awesome today, and the word of the day folks seemed to finally get the word to match the weather. For once.

If you've got a picture for stormy petrel, send it to me in an email. And though I may not have been clear before, you can always retroactively send a photo for any other word of the day, and I'll be happy to include it!

No comments:

Post a Comment