May 28, 2009

avoirdupois \av-uhr-duh-POIZ; AV-uhr-duh-poiz\,

noun:
1. Avoirdupois weight, a system of weights based on a pound containing 16 ounces or 7,000 grains (453.59 grams).
2. Weight; heaviness; as, a person of much avoirdupois.


I think the guys at Dictionary.com were trying to get me to photograph a fat person with today's word of the day. But, luckily for me, and luckily for the feelings of every slightly chubby person on the street that would have taken offense at my accusations of weightiness, we just so happen to have a scale in the house.

The word avoirdupois (which I'm sure no one reading this blog will include in their everyday conversation) describes our system of weight, which I never knew to be quite so complicated until a search this morning. This entry from Wikipedia shows just how ridiculous our system of measurements can be. It's a little embarrassing, really.

For the photo, I used only the light coming through the window in the kitchen. It's a bit overcast today, which is why the light is so soft. A long zoom and wide aperture give me the very slight depth of field. Black counters are cool for this photo, but I have to say; in real life, they're not that great.

If you've got any photos to use for avoirdupois, don't forget to send them to me in an email!

No comments:

Post a Comment