April 30, 2009

mellifluous \muh-LIF-loo-us\,

adjective:
Flowing as with honey; smooth; flowing sweetly or smoothly; as, a mellifluous voice.


There's no honey in today's word of the day, just oil and water. I am most definitely not the first to photograph the two together, nor are my photos likely the best. But I would bet money that I'm the first to do so on a blog dedicated to dictionary.com's word of the day.

The shortened definition of today's word, as it shows up on my word-of-the-day widget, is flowing sweetly or smoothly, and while nothing in my photo is actually flowing, I thought it might be a fun photo. It's just set up with two lights, one pointed below a glass of water at the white backdrop and the other above where the oil will be. Then just add oil, and snap away.

Focus is typically the toughest part of this type of photo. I was lucky to get what I got, even though it's not necessarily that sharp. Bumping the contrast can sometimes help with that problem, though. And having a real, sturdy tripod might also work for you.

Anyhow, get out there and take some photos for mellifluous and send them along to me in an email so I can include them with mine! Happy Thursday!

Update: Thanks again to Ronny for sending this photo -- it's the first photo he ever sold, on permanent display in the Tally Student Center on N.C. State. I like when you guys do that, so keep sending them over (even retroactively)!

No comments:

Post a Comment