May 7, 2009

coruscate \KOR-uh-skayt\,

verb:
1. To give off or reflect bright beams or flashes of light; to sparkle.
2. To exhibit brilliant, sparkling technique or style.


I set off another fire cracker in the house for today's word of the day. Actually, I took the fuse out and used it for smoke and sparks, but as you can see from the photo, it didn't do much for me in the way of sparks.

No matter, smoke still works for the purposes of making this photo look like a far more brave and, excuse the French, badass photographer was at work here. The first time I used a fire cracker for the photo, Kevin and I cowered in the corner with a glass half filled with cloudy water - in case the house caught fire, that 10 ounces would like have done nothing in the way of extinguishing it. I am, by no means, a "pyromaniac."

In fact, I think only a very small percentage of people who make such a claim can back it up. It used to be the cool thing to light some matches in your back yard and claim "pyro" status, but it's only when you haven't stopped playing with fire well into your adult life that you can truly call yourself a pro (ahem, father-in-law to be).

Back to important photography things: I used a cross-screen filter on the ol' 12-24mm Tokina today, which gave the hanging light bulb its flare. Then, in a one-second exposure, I lit the fuse of the fire cracker and it gave me a whole lot of smoke as I pranced around it, frightened.

There's a lot of potential in this word of the day, so send me your coruscate photos in an email and I'll be happy to post them!

No comments:

Post a Comment